More Magical Christian Thinking: If you have pre-marital sex you won’t get a decent spouse
As was astutely pointed out in the comments of this other site below this article (at The Christian Post), this Christian propaganda is dishonest: one can be a Christian virgin over 30 years of age and still never get married.
In the Bible, God does not promise great spouses to people who remain virgins, nor does he promise any sort of spouse at all (but see note below), but Christian publications keep publishing these articles, or the occasional editorial, which suggest if you have sex before marriage, no man will ever want you, or God will punish you by with-holding a husband, or the husband you do get will be a great big loser.
(Note: Though I will say that a case can perhaps be made that in a round-about way, the Bible does promise a spouse to people: there are numerous verses in the Bible that talk about God sending you the desires of your heart, that if you pray and have faith, God will grant you anything you ask, and so on and so forth.)
This article is also another example of Christian fear mongering in regards to sex: trying to scare people, especially women, from having sex before marriage (note the emphasis in the article on women’s sexuality, not male sexuality – which is funny, because usually, conservative Christians assume that women are emotional and not sexual anyhow).
- By Leonardo Blair , CP Reporter
- May 30, 2013|6:54 pm
- Dopamine, Oxytocin and Vasopressin are three powerful and important products released during sex between a man and a woman in a committed relationship and helps couples bond. When they are introduced in casual sexual relationships, however, they can cause much trouble.
- Working together, the two hormones and one chemical produced by the human body during sex helps to bond a man and a woman together for long-term relationship.
- “When someone is involved sexually it makes them want to repeat that act. Their brain produces lots of Dopamine – a powerful chemical, which is compared to heroin on the brain. Dopamine is your internal pleasure/reward system. When Dopamine is involved, it changes how we remember,” notes a Conquer Series report.
- …So when a woman becomes intimate with a man, her body also releases Oxytocin and she becomes emotionally bonded to him. “Have you wondered sometimes why a woman will stay with a man who’s abusing her? We know now, it’s because she bonds to him emotionally, because of the Oxytocin release during sex,” the report said.
That last bit about why women stay with an abusive man – they are incorrect. Why women stay with an abuser has nothing to do with “hormones” and everything to do with lack of boundaries and low self esteem.