Preacher Found Guilty of Exposing Women to HIV
This is another example of…
1. Married professing Christians are not more godly, ethical, or mature than single people
2. “Be not yoked to an unbeliever” is a joke to single Christian women who want to marry
3. Married Christian sex is not “mindblowing” – as Christians often claim it is
This preacher was married. One of the women he infected with HIV had prior to their affair been celibate for fifteen years, according to the news articles I have read. Another article says that Davis has a 15 year old son: parenthood does not make a person more godly or mature, as Christians often claim.
- … After Davis’ 15-year-old son and two other men asked the judge to go easy on him, Davis took the stand and apologized.
- Updated: Feb 21, 2014 4:42 PM CST
By Tony McNary
- The family of former pastor Craig Lamar Davis, 43, of Full Gospel Baptist Church in Atlanta, Ga., wept in court Tuesday as a jury found him guilty of two counts of reckless conduct for failing to tell two women he had affairs with while he was married that he is HIV positive.
- According to CBS Atlanta, the now divorced Davis admitted to jurors on the witness stand during his four-day trial that doctors had diagnosed him with the AIDS virus in 2005.
- As the verdict was being read by the jury, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution said Davis sat motionless and was seen comforting weeping family members shortly before he was taken into custody.
- Davis could be imprisoned for up-to 20 years for each count of reckless conduct. His sentencing is scheduled for 10 a.m. on Feb. 21.
- One of his ex-lovers and victim Ronita McAfee, who initiated the case against him, said, “I am pleased with the verdict today. It has been my hope and prayer that justice would be served and the reckless behavior of Mr. Davis would be exposed.”
- … Davis was arrested in July 2012. McAfee reportedly met him on Facebook and the two became lovers. She confronted Davis about his HIV status after one of his former lovers contacted her and told her the then pastor had given her HIV. McAfee, who says she has since repeatedly tested negative for the virus, made it her mission to expose Davis’ reckless behavior after that.
- He reportedly infected another woman in church leadership with the HIV virus who had been celibate for 15 years, according to the Today News Gazette.
- “The swiftness at which the verdict was delivered demonstrated Clayton County jurors are going to protect their community,” said Clayton County prosecutor Kathryn Powers after the verdict. “They are not going to stand for someone infecting recklessly with such a deadly disease.”
- BY LEONARDO BLAIR , CP REPORTER
January 23, 2014|5:03 pm
- The first defendant convicted in Clayton County of reckless conduct by an HIV-infected person will be sentenced today in Superior Court.
- ….He faces similar charges involving a second woman in Fulton County who has been diagnosed as HIV-positive.
- By Kathy Jefcoats
February 20, 2014
- …. As previously reported by NewsOne, Davis was found guilty in January of two counts of reckless HIV.
- Davis, who was married at the time that the allegations came to light, initially denied both his HIV status and cheating on his wife.
- In a last-ditch plea for leniency during Friday’s sentencing hearing, the formerly “unrepentant” pastor said that his actions were “wrong.”
- Feb 22, 2014
By NewsOne Staff
- Former pastor of Full Gospel Baptist Church in Atlanta, Georgia, Minister Craig Lamar Davis has been sentenced to 10 years in prison,after being convicted just one month ago of knowingly exposing female congregates to the HIV virus. He learned he was HIV positive back in 2005, was charged with two counts of reckless HIV.
- Lamar Davis was accused and charged with carrying on 2 extramarital affairs while knowingly exposing them to the HIV virus.
- One of his accusers, who allegedly remained celibate for 15 years prior to sleeping with the minister, tested positive for the deadly virus, while his second accuser, Ronita McAfee, tested negative. Davis, however, denies ever sleeping with McAfee.
- A Clayton County judge sentenced a Stone Mountain man to 10 years in prison for knowingly exposing a woman to HIV.
The sentence imposed by Superior Court Judge Geronda Carter was half of the maximum time Craig Lamar Davis could have faced on the two counts of reckless HIV. A Clayton jury found Davis guilty of the two counts on Jan. 21.
- By Tammy Joyner
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
This is similar to another post I did a few months ago, this one – it discusses another HIV pastor, named Carr, who had affairs with women and infected them:
(Link): Beware of HIV / AIDS Infected Christian Male Preachers On Dating Sites
Related posts this blog:
(Link): Marriage Does Not Make People More Loving Mature Godly Ethical Caring or Responsible (One Stop Thread – thread contains many links to news stories of married Christian people who were caught in sin, arrested, etc)
(Link): Christian Preacher Admits He Won’t Preach About Sexuality and Against Sexual Sin For Fear It May Offend Sexual Sinners
(Link): Permissiveness, Cheap Grace, and Easy Forgivism Run Amok in Christianity – Dallas Preacher Todd Wagner Says Christians Can Use Heroin (parallel to topic of sex, celibacy) / Why some Christians turn agnostic
(Link): Christian Single Women: Another Example of Why You Should Abandon the “Be Equally Yoked” Teaching: 21-Y-O Christianity Student, Children’s Minister Charged With Murdering Fiancée He Was to Wed in August; Made It Look Like Suicide
(Link): Pastor charged in wife’s murder was headed to Europe to marry boyfriend, prosecutor says – Single Xtian Ladies: Kick that Be Equally Yoked Teaching to the Curb! Also: Marriage and Parenthood do not make people more godly or mature or loving or ethical