How Celibacy Gives This Christian Woman ‘A Higher Reason For Living’
(Link): How Celibacy Gives This Christian Woman ‘A Higher Reason For Living’ by E Katz
- Lina Abujamra lives life alone and has never had a sexual encounter, but she insists there’s no reason to feel bad for her.
- “It’s a lie in our culture that if you’re not in a romantic relationship, you’re less there — [that] you haven’t fulfilled your full potential as a human,” the Pediatric ER doctor said in a HuffPost Live interview Thursday.
- The devout Christian subsequently lives her life without “every connection” — emotional, physical and sexual — as a means of establishing her belief in “something greater.”
- “I believe in a higher reason for living,” she said. “I believe I’m on this earth for a purpose. I believe that there’s a thing for me to do here on this earth — I’m not just here to get a job, have three kids and die. I think that’s very glum in some ways.”
- You can hear more of Lina’s story as part of HuffPost Live’s conversation on living a fulfilling life alone here.
(Link): Typical Erroneous Teaching About Adult Celibacy Rears Its Head Again: To Paraphrase Speaker at Ethics and Public Policy Center: Lifelong Celibacy is “heroic ethical standard that is not expected of heteros, so it should not be expected of homosexuals”
(Link): Asexuality and Asexuals