Modesty and the Lust of Men from God Is Love Blog
I believe I originally saw this on @DefendTheSheep’s twitter.
(Link): Modesty and the Lust of Men
- [Quotes from 1 Timothy 2:9-10]
- There you have it. Women should dress modestly or they will cause men to look at them lustfully and commit adultery. Right?
- What is the author of 1st Timothy concerned about? “Elaborate hairstyles, gold, pearls, expensive clothing.” Nowhere does the author of this passage talk about covering up so that men will not lust. Evidently, the concern here is related to displays of material wealth.
- …“When tempted, no one should say, ‘God is tempting me.’ For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death” (James 1:13-15, NIV).The temptation to sin comes from within a person, not from without. It is also important to recognize that we can always say “no”: “The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure” (1 Corinthians 10:13, NLT).
- Click Here to Read The Rest
(Link): Male Modesty and Male Shaming