Americans’ Acceptance of Sexual Immorality Growing, Gallup Finds
- May 2015
- Americans’ acceptance of sexual immorality is growing, according to a Gallup report.When asked about the moral acceptability of a range of issues, five of the top six issues that saw an increase in acceptability were related to sexual morality.
- The largest increase in moral acceptability from 2001 to 2015 was for homosexual relations, which increased 23 percentage points, from 40 to 63 percent. That was followed by having a baby outside of marriage (45 to 61 percent), heterosexual sex outside of marriage (53 to 68 percent), divorce (59 to 71 percent) and polygamy (7 to 16 percent).
- … An August 2014 study found that Christians who support same-sex marriage are more likely to support other types of sexual immorality, such as premarital cohabitation, “no-strings-attached” sex, abortion and viewing pornography.
- The increased acceptance of sexual immorality also tracks with an increase in those identifying themselves as socially liberal. The percentage of those who say they are social liberals is now the same as those who say they are conservative on social issues (31 percent), according to Gallup.
- …The recent poll, conducted May 6-10, had a random sample of 1,024 adults living in the United States.