4 Sexist Myths That The Church Should Reject – 3. Men Are Primarily Sexual Beings and Women Are Not Sexual by R. Asproth
(Link): 4 Sexist Myths That The Church Should Reject by R. Asproth
- 3. Men Are Primarily Sexual Beings and Women Are Not Sexual
- Men are more sexual than women. It’s just biological. Never mind that some men have very low sex drives, and never mind that some women have very high sex drives. This gender myth has very little basis in reality—but it is a cultural value.
- Particularly in the church, it is common to emphasize modesty and chastity in women—often for the sake of the oh-so-uncontrollable male sex drive. Those of us women who attended youth group growing up can probably recall lessons on shielding our bodies from our spiritual brothers’ wandering, lustful eyes. I’m calling this one.
- While men and women do have biological and chemical differences, a given man is not necessarily more sexual than a given woman.
- And it doesn’t help women when the church pretends that men are the only sexual beings. In fact, women can feel alone, alien, and rejected if they do not fit the prescription of the non-sexual Christian woman.
- Further, when purity/modesty culture is the name of the game, women take on responsibility for the sins of those around them—imagining that they are culpable for others’ wayward hearts.
- And on the flip side, men grow to view themselves as untrustworthy, uncontrollable, and primarily sexual.
- Both of these images fall heartbreakingly short of God’s healthy and beautiful intention for men and women.
- So, instead of prescribing a strong sex drive exclusively to men, let’s remember that sex is a gift from God—often enjoyed equally by men and women (on a case by case basis). Let’s do men and women a favor and start talking about female sexuality in Christian culture.
(Link): When Women Wanted Sex Much More Than Men by A. Goldstein
(Link): Christian Stereotypes About Female Sexuality : All Unmarried Women Are Supposedly Hyper Sexed Harlots – But All Married Ones are Supposedly Frigid or Totally Uninterested in Sex
(Link): Groundbreaking News: Women Like Sex (part 1, 2) (articles)
(Link): When society isn’t judging, women’s sex drive rivals men’s
(Link): Virgins and Celibates are Sexual – Not Asexual and Androgynous – You don’t have to have sex to possess sexuality
(Link): Women Are More Interested In Sex Than You Think, (2016) Studies Show – Men underestimate their wife’s or girlfriend’s sexual desire; read the signals
(Link): Women are buying more sex than ever before, new research claims (May 2015)
(Link): Ramifications of Pre Martial Sex – Sky Diver Husband; Also: Stereotypes About All Men Wanting Sex Constantly and Being Visually Stimulated Disproven Again
(Link): Do men really have higher sex drives than women? (article/study)
(Link): Letter to Advice Columnist: Husband Upset That Wife Masturbates – Marriage Doesn’t Guarantee Hot Regular Sex For Both or Either Partner, Contra Usual Christian Claims
(Link): Yes, Some Women Use and Look at Pornography
Link): New Study Released: Cheaters: More American Married Women Admit to Adultery (links)
(Link): Superman, Man Candy -and- Christian Women Are Visual And Enjoy Looking At Built, Hot, Sexy Men
(Link): Ryan Gosling and Shirtless, Buff Cowboy Photos on Social Media – Yes, Women Are Visually Stimulated and Visually Oriented (Part 2)
(Link): Boy Bands, Rock Singers, and Other High School Crushes – Yes, Women Are Visually Stimulated and Visually Oriented
(Link): Atlantic: “The case for abandoning the myth that ‘women aren’t visual.’”