Various Editorials Defending Tim Tebow’s Celibacy – Because Some Secular Media Are Ridiculing It
(Link): Tebow’s Choice to Stay Chaste – He sets a rare, refreshing example in an overly sexualized culture
- … Tebow is fascinating to people partly because the culture cannot accept the fact that a professional athlete does not indulge in a wild, partying lifestyle, or at least a sexually active one.
- It’s almost as if the public (and particularly the media) don’t believe that people who believe in God and actively, honestly live out their faith even exist anymore.
- The Rev. Michael Sliney, a Catholic priest and the New York chaplain of the Lumen Institute, an association of business and cultural leaders, said, “I deeply admire Tim Tebow for persevering in this noble ideal — a true witness of self-mastery and respect for the sacredness of the sexual act.”
- It’s an interesting point, particularly when it comes to respect. And despite what either side of this argument believes, shouldn’t Tebow have the right to make his own decisions when it comes to what he feels is respecting himself and others?
- …. There are multiple viable reasons people, religious or not, choose to remain chaste until marriage. Tebow should not be publicly ridiculed for his decision to do so, and his example is rare but refreshing in an overly sexualized culture.
(Link): Leave Tim Tebow Alone
(Link): Tim Tebow Dumped by Fmr. Miss Universe Olivia Culpo Over Sex?
(Link): Sports media mocks Tim Tebow over abstinence pledge
- by D. Gwinn
- So long story short, it’s a report that should have come as no surprise since Tebow has (Link): already had one relationship end because of his moral stand and maybe, just maybe, God-forbid engender some sense of begrudging respect from the media elite for at least having the courage of his convictions, has instead triggered a few juvenile headlines and one-liners from a legion of sports reporters who would never be allowed in the same room as a Miss USA, current or former. Unless they bought a ticket.
- First up is the New York Daily News, who ran with (Link): this ultra-original header:
- // “Tim Tebow still can’t find the end zone as girlfriend Olivia Culpo breaks it off over lack of sex” ///
- Followed-up by this quip:
- // “For once, it’s not Tim Tebow who’s having trouble scoring – it’s his girlfriend.” //
- …. Well, again, he didn’t really lose her, so much as he let her go in order to stay true to his pledge. It’s called making a choice based on deeply held religious beliefs. Something the liberal sports media might know about if they would ever even attempt to make any choices based on deeply held religious beliefs.
- But here’s the thing, why is it hard to just report that Tim Tebow and his possible girlfriend allegedly broke-up because he doesn’t want to have sex?
- Isn’t that the journalistic news piece here? Isn’t that the critical information? Is this what CBS and others have come to, that they can’t report an abstinent athlete parting ways with his girlfriend whom, he (Link): apparently deeply loved, without indulging in playground mockery?
- As if Tebow was some kind of sexually awkward clutz who couldn’t entice a woman into the horizontal if he was the last man on Earth?
- I would accept that this was mere Tebow mockery because Tebow’s NFL career flamed out, if the (Link): same sports media hadn’t treated Super Bowl champion Russell Wilson the exact same way when news of his abstinent relationship became public earlier this year.
- Instead, I’ll have to see it for what it is. Yet another smear of a Christian athlete.
(Link): Why We Love Tim Tebow’s Virginity Freak Show by E. Shire
- Whether Olivia Culpo dumped Tim Tebow for not ‘boning’ her is perhaps less interesting than the various sexist and sex-shaming responses to the story itself.
- Just as our Thanksgiving turkey was drying out, the (Link): New York Daily Newswas ready to fill a different hunger with a deliciously juicy report of sex, religious convictions, heartbreak, and an exceptionally attractive semi-famous couple.The famously religious, ex-NFL quarterback Tim Tebow had been allegedly dumped by former Miss Universe Olivia Culpo because, as New York’s The Cut simply put it, “he won’t bone.”
- … In the accounts that followed Culpo was often cast as a temptress, with theDaily News and (Link): other (Jezebel) outlets (NY Mag) quickly pointing out that she allegedly got Nick Jonas to shed his promise ring (nod, nod, wink, wink).
- With Tebow, he fell into one of two roles: 1) the wimpy, virginal chump 2) the righteous, self-controlled Samson who actually successfully resisted Delilah.
- …Of the details in the initial Daily News report that Tebow sent Culpo romantic letters, Rachel Vorona Cote at Jezebel snarkily countered “most women don’t orgasm because of cute notes.”That’s true, though many of us don’t through sexual intercourse either (the numbers vary, but the (Link): Society of Obstetricians and Gynacologists of Canada say only about a third of women regularly orgasm from intercourse).On the other hand, Us Weekly gushed in admiration that while a source told the publication “last month that the athlete thought Culpo was ‘a goddess,’” ultimately, “no goddess could make him change his sacred promise.”
- …It is far from clear that lack of sex was a cause for the Tebow-Culpo split.
- Neither has commented directly on it, and E! Online reported today that an insider source claimed the breakup “had ‘nothing to do’ with Tebow’s decision to remain abstinent.”
- …Virginity—which is both stigmatized and idolized—still sends our tongues wagging like few other sexual predilections. Perhaps it’s because it seems oddly titillating in our over-sexualized culture, especially if the practitioner is a sexy male athlete, who could “bone,” one assumes, whichever partner of his choosing.
- “The reason the story probably got so much attention is the virginity. That’s what makes it so interesting.
- Even though Tebow is out and proud about being a virgin, being a virgin is a stigmatized category today,” Rachel Hills, the author of The Sex Myth, a book debunking the belief that everyone is having loads of sex, told The Daily Beast. “It’s the freak show aspect that probably interested people.”
- That “freak show” attention may also be result of the fact that Tebow is the virgin in the former couple, which is an “inversion of the typical gender roles,” Hills noted. We usually expect women to be the ones refusing sex and maintaining their virginity.
- But because men are, perhaps, less expected to be virgins in heterosexual relationships, Hills said women in general face more scrutiny for their sexual behavior—just as we see in the way Culpo is being portrayed.
- “There was an interesting study that showed men are generally given more latitude with sexual choices—more latitude to have as much sex as they like and also more latitude to abstain without it being considered a stigmatizing thing,” she explained. “Whereas with women, it is so easy for us to fall into being perceived as either having too much sex or too little sex.”
- In general, though, for both men and women, being a virgin “is something that is considered weird and probably makes you undesirable,” Hills said.
- In a time where mainstream society has not only accepted sex before marriage, but a wide range of far more “exotic” predilections, virgin status can be fodder for titillation and mockery.
- …. “I’m not sure how much it applies outside of celebrity,” said Hills. “I think idolizing virginity extends less into your twenties. In high school and college, it may be seen as a moral choice, but there’s less celebration once you get above a certain age.”
(Link): News Reports: Tim Tebow’s Girlfriend Allegedly Breaks Up With Him Because He Won’t Have Sex With Her
(Link): Jesus Christ Removed the Stigma, Shame From Being Single and Childless – by David Instone Brewer
(Link): Are You Ashamed of Biblical [Sexual] Purity? by J. Slattery
(Link): Woman Says She Refuses to Hook-up with Men ‘For Fun’ – Says Most Men She’s Met Are Willing to Wait
(Link): Football Star’s [New York Giants cornerback Prince Amukamara] Bold Magazine Admission: I’m a Christian Who Abstains from Sex and Alcohol
(Link): Some Atheists Are Just As Ignorant About Adult Singleness and Celibacy as Progressive Christians, Secular Feminists, and Protestant Evangelical or Conservative Christians
(Link): I Shouldn’t Need An Excuse To Be A Virgin – (Secular Editorial Defends Virginity – More Rare Than a Unicorn Sighting)
(Link): Hypocrisy: Secular Pundits Judge Christian Sexuality: Josh Duggar’s So-Called Vanilla Sexual Preferences Deemed Dull
(Link): After Evangelical Virgins Marry, Then What? (New Study Discusses Problems Male Christians Have After Marriage With Sex)
(Link): Salon Author Amanda Marcotte Thinks Media Shouldn’t Judge Women’s Sexuality But She Has Mocked Women Over Their Sexual Choices Before (To Remain Virgins)
(Link): Sexual Atheism: Christian Dating Data Reveals a Deeper Spiritual Malaise by K Luck
(Link): Why So Much Fornication (sex outside of marriage) – Because Christians Have No Expectation of Sexual Purity
(Link): I’m 45, Single And Childless. No, There’s Nothing ‘Wrong’ With Me. by M Notkin
(Link): How the Sexual Revolution Ruined Friendship – Also: If Christians Truly Believed in Celibacy and Virginity, they would stop adhering to certain sexual and gender stereotypes that work against both
(Link): Christian TV Show Host Pat Robertson Disrespects Virginity – Says Pre-Marital Sex Is “Not A Bad Thing”
(Link): How Christians Have Failed on Teaching Maturity and Morality Vis A Vis Marriage / Parenthood – Used as Markers of Maturity Or Assumed to be Sanctifiers
(Link): “You’re not a real man until you have children” by G. Proops – women should be able to relate to this too
(Link): False Christian Teaching: “Only A Few Are Called to Singleness and Celibacy”
(Link): Christian Preacher Admits He Won’t Preach About Sexuality / Sexual Sin For Fear It May Offend Sexual Sinners
(Link): A Grown-Up, Not Sexed-Up, View of Womanhood (article) – how Christian teachings on gender and singlehood contribute to raunch culture and fornication etc
(Link): Statistics Show Single Adults Now Outnumber Married Adults in the United States
(Link): According to this Christian Web Site, Authentic Manhood (their phrase) does not include single men or childless men
(Link): Sex, Love & Celibacy by Christian Author Dan Navin
(Link): Editorial about Celibacy by Ed Shaw
(Link): No Christians and Churches Do Not Idolize Virginity and Sexual Purity – Christians Attack and Criticize Virginity Sexual Purity Celibacy / Virginity Sexual Purity Not An Idol
(Link): Thirty Year Old Woman Kills Herself Due to Being Single and Childless – Churches contribute to this by either Ignoring adult singles or shaming them for being single and childless
(Link): Chris Harper Mercer (Oregon Gunman) Angry Over Being Single and A Virgin
(Link): The Christian and Non Christian Phenomenon of Virgin Shaming and Celibate Shaming
(Link): Weak Argument Against Celibacy / Virginity / Sexual Purity by the Anti Sexual Purity Gestapo – Sexual Compatibility or Incompatibility – (i.e., Taking Human Beings For Test Spins – Humans As Sexual Commodities) (Part 2)
(Link): Celebrities who waited until marriage to have sex (list 2)
(Link): Singles Shaming at The Vintage church in Raleigh – Singlehood Shaming / Celibate and Virgin Shaming
(Link): When Adult Virginity and Adult Celibacy Are Viewed As Inconvenient or As Impediments
(Link): A Teen Tried To Kill Three Women “In Revenge” Because He Was A Virgin
(Link): An Open Letter to Male Virgins by Anna Broadway
(Link): Chris Harper Mercer (Oregon Gunman) Angry Over Being Single and A Virgin
(Link): Bitter, Frustrated 22 Year Old Male Virgin and Member of Men’s Rights / PUA Groups Kills Several Women Because He Couldn’t Get Dates – what an entitled sexist doof
(Link): Male Entitlement In Dating and In Marriage – Single Christian Men Who Feel Entitled – Part 1
(Link): Male Entitlement and Adult Virginity: Who has it worse, Male Vs. Female? (critique of post at other blog)
(Link): Stop Telling Adult Singles and Adult Virgins That Their Virginity and Singleness is “For God’s Glory” – just stop it already
2 thoughts on “Various Editorials Defending Tim Tebow’s Celibacy – Because Some Secular Media Are Ridiculing It”
The same old stuff, unfortunately: some ultra-conservative right-wingers can be obnoxius, but some ultra-liberals are not less fanatical – their own idea of “freedom” is the only one they are willing to respect.
And things get worse if you are rich, famous, good-looking… and male (men are supposed to be brainless sex-addicted, right?): in mainstream culture – both religious and secular – celibacy is just a sort of “making virtue out of necessity” for socially-awkward people who “cannot get laid”, an acclaimed celebrity cannot be willing to follow his/her own values.
Democracy and civil liberties should be about letting people live their own lives under their onw responsibility – provided they do not hurt others: does Mr. Tebow want to stay celibate as long as he is unmarried? Fine. Does a John Doe engage in safe, consensual pre-marital sex? Fine.
No slut-shaming, no virgin-shaming: is it that difficult?
Dear Christian Pundit, thanks for keeping discussion about these topics alive 🙂
Comments are closed.