Men Are Attracted to Nonconformist Women
(Link): Men Are Attracted to Nonconformist Women
- The popular idea that women should try to conform or be submissive around men is outdated
- by Matthew Hutson
- September 1, 2015
- Men are often advised to stand out from the crowd to attract women—there can be only one alpha male.
- Women, on the other hand, are told not to be too weird.
- This advice has sunk in: a 2006 study found that when in a mating mind-set, men become less conformist and women become more so.
- A paper in the June issue of Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, however, reports that we have it all wrong.
In the new work, which studied subjects who identified as either heterosexual or bisexual, both women and men preferred nonconformist partners— those whose clothes, opinions or life decisions broke the norm— when selecting from online dating profiles, describing ideal partners or picturing dates with people they had just met.
- Men showed just as much interest as women in oddballs (and in one experiment, in fact more interest), even though subjects predicted women would like misfits more.
- Further, independent-minded people —in the U.S., the U.K. and India— reported more success in both short- and long-term dating.
- Other research has shown breaking rules to be a good indicator of status and power, which may explain part of its appeal for both sexes, but gender role expectations have yet to catch up.
- “The old-fashioned gender stereotype—that men go for conformist, submissive women—has been slow to die,” says lead author Matthew Hornsey, a social psychologist at the University of Queensland in Australia.
(Link): When Women Wanted Sex Much More Than Men – and how the stereotype flipped
(Link): When society isn’t judging, women’s sex drive rivals men’s
(Link): Women are buying more sex than ever before, new research claims (May 2015)
(Link): Superman, Man Candy -and- Christian Women Are Visual And Enjoy Looking At Built, Hot, Sexy Men
(Link): Ryan Gosling and Shirtless, Buff Cowboy Photos on Social Media – Yes, Women Are Visually Stimulated and Visually Oriented (Part 2)
(Link): Article: Scientists: Why penis size does matter [to women]
(Link): New study: Average American man is ugly and fat – And yes, men, you should panic because American women DO judge you based on your looks
(Link): Women Are Visually Oriented Too – Reminder 1
(Link): Yes Women Are Visually Oriented – Hundreds of female marathon runners abandon their race to mob ‘impossibly handsome’ policeman for selfies
(Link): Boy Bands, Rock Singers, and Other High School Crushes – Yes, Women Are Visually Stimulated and Visually Oriented
(Link): Atlantic: “The case for abandoning the myth that ‘women aren’t visual.’”
(Link): Ramifications of Pre Martial Sex – Sky Diver Husband; Also: Stereotypes About All Men Wanting Sex Constantly and Being Visually Stimulated Disproven Again
(Link): Do men really have higher sex drives than women? (article/study)
(Link): Christian Stereotypes About Female Sexuality : All Unmarried Women Are Supposedly Hyper Sexed Harlots – But All Married Ones are Supposedly Frigid or Totally Uninterested in Sex
(Link): Consider The Source: Christians Who Give Singles Dating Advice Also Regularly Coach Wives to Stay in Abusive Marriages
(Link): Christians Advise Singles To Follow Certain Dating Advice But Then Shame, Criticize, or Punish Singles When That Advice Does Not Work
(Link): A Critique of – 10 Men Christian Women Should Never Marry by J. Lee Grady / And on Christians Marrying Non Christians -and- Unrealistic, Too Rigid Spouse Selection Lists by Christians