What Asexuals Want You To Know About Asexuality by N. Michelson
I sometimes see Christians who confuse asexuality with celibacy. They’re not the same thing.
(Link): Why Some Asexuals Masturbate (And A Few Other Things They Want You To Know)
- A look at a still very misunderstood orientation.
- While sexual orientations beyond heterosexuality, homosexuality and bisexuality are beginning to receive more attention and understanding from mainstream culture and the media, asexuality remains fairly misunderstood.
The Asexual Visibility And Education Network (AVEN) (Link): defines an asexual as “someone who does not experience sexual attraction” and notes that, “unlike celibacy, which people choose, asexuality is an intrinsic part of who [they] are.” On a recent episode of the (Link): HuffPost Love+Sex Podcast, co-hosts Carina Kolodny and Noah Michelson spoke with several asexuals about their lives, as well as Anthony Bogaert, the author of (Link): “Understanding Asexuality” and a professor of health sciences and psychology at Brock University.
Check out the podcast (below) to learn more about what life is like as an asexual, as well as some facts from Bogaert about what exactly asexuality is and isn’t.
- ….Asexuality is not a disorder:
- “From a medical health standpoint, there’s not much evidence that asexual people who self-identify as such are necessarily distressed by the lack of sexuality or lack of sexual interest or lack of sexual attraction to others. And therefore, that’s a main criterion that we should be using in thinking about when we’re thinking about [whether or not it is] some kind of mental or health disorder.”
- …As many as one percent of Americans are asexual: “The measures of attraction that I’m most familiar with, and work that I’ve done, indicate that perhaps as many as one percent or perhaps even more, are asexual. A number of (Link): studies have also suggested that one percent of people may indicate that they’ve never really felt sexual attraction for others.”There is a strong and growing online asexual community: For more information, visit (Link): AVEN.
(Link): Asexual and Happy – from New York Times
(Link): So Long, Compulsory Sex! See Ya, Viagra! Asexuality is Here – by B. DePaulo
(Link): The married virgin ‘repulsed’ by sex who encourages her ‘perfect’ husband to sleep with escorts while helping him to find a live-in lover
(Link): Young, Attractive, and Totally Not Into Having Sex by K McGowan
(Link): Asexuality and Asexuals
(Link): Virgins and Celibates are Sexual – Not Asexual and Androgynous – You don’t have to have sex to possess sexuality
(Link): Jason the Christian’s Sexless Marriage – Christians promise hot regular steamy married sex but it isn’t true
(Link): Celibate Shaming from an Anti- Slut Shaming Secular Feminist Site (Hypocrisy) Feminists Do Not Support All Choices
(Link): Weak Argument Against Celibacy / Virginity / Sexual Purity by the Anti Sexual Purity Gestapo – Sexual Compatibility or Incompatibility – (ie, Taking Human Beings For Test Spins – Humans As Sexual Commodities) (Part 2)