Baptist Preacher Led Church for Five Years as Registered Sex Offender – and They Celebrated Him
The mind boggles at how so many churches are either blind to abuse, or, if they notice or discover it, support the abuser and harass the abuser’s victims.
In this case, one report said that this church knew that their preacher was a sex offender, and they gave him glowing praise in some church annual report.
The Jesus of the Bible would say that this child molesting sicko preacher should have a mill stone tied around his neck and tossed into the sea, not given slaps on the back and awards, give me a break.
The article by the preacher (second link below) says that the rest of his denomination used legal loopholes to get around informing the rest of the members that there was a child sexual predator in their midst – which could have left other children even more vulnerable to being molested by the deviant.
My parents used to teach me that churches were the best place to meet a mate, if you were single and wanted to get married.
In light of all the horrible news stories I see about professing male Christians (some of whom are married) who are arrested for raping children, raping grown women, or having serial affairs, I think that I am just as well off dumping the “be equally yoked” rule and dating Non-Christian men.
There was a report that came out a few weeks ago that says that Christian ministry (clergy) is an attractive profession to a lot of people who are clinically NPD (narcissistic personality disorder); learn more about that (Link): here (look for 3-09-16 / Guest: Darrell broadcast – or please try this link). That is yet another reason to avoid dating or marrying Christian men, especially the ones who harbor clergy ambitions.
I don’t know if the deviant preacher mentioned in this news story is a married guy or not, or if he is a father or not.
- “A pastor at a Baptist Church in New Haven, Connecticut, was allowed to continue leading his church for five years while on the state sex offender registry after a child-molestation conviction, letters from church officials and state court records show.
- It was only after his second arrest—in 2014 on child pornography charges—that Eli Echevarria stepped down from leading El Calvario Baptist Church, according to the letters and court records.
- Church leaders, who operate independently of the central Baptist governing authority in Connecticut, have not responded to multiple requests for comment. Echevarria is serving a two-year prison sentence” (“Baptist Church Was Led by Sex Offender for Years,” Courant.com).
- By Preacher Bill Keane
- March 20, 2016
- Thirty-two years in the pulpit have shown me that ministry isn’t based on what you plan, it’s expressed in how you stand up to what can’t be foreseen. That’s why, after wrestling with futile internal protest, and seeing no definitively informative and positive change, I decided to make public the failure of my church hierarchy to expose one of its long-term ministers as a pedophile.
- On the contrary, last April, the annual report of the American Baptist Churches of Connecticut included praise and gratitude for Eli Echevarria, convicted four months before and sentenced to prison for possessing child pornography involving young girls down to toddlers. The printed endorsement nearly sucked the life out of my soul.
More than a year earlier, the same man began visiting my congregation in Branford. We welcomed him, and in the following months he mixed with the congregation, including the children.
- …Indeed, in the previously mentioned letter from our regional president, relative to not informing local pastoral leadership about Echevarria’s history, he said that the ABCConn executive minister at the time had contacted church legal counsel, who told her that “there is no statutory requirement to make public information more public.”
- Therefore, instead of receiving a responsible explanation for leaving local leadership out of the loop, it was fancy legalese with no biblical or ethical basis.
Then, in December 2015, I received the police investigation report leading to the most recent arrest, conviction and incarceration of the applauded pedophile. Just the short file names describing the child pornography involved made me want to cry and throw up. The police report describes images of men having sex with pre-pubescent girls, some described as being “clearly toddlers.” It is a painful thing to face the fact that such evil exists. Yet turning a blind eye is not an option.