We’re All Visual – Responding to Common Christian Claim that Only Men Are Visual – via God Loves Women blog
Someone on my Twitter re-Tweeted a link to the link below.
The e-mail from Gross (that is mentioned at the other blog) also shames and blames women whose husbands are using porn; he actually tells them that their husbands are still owed sex, they should not “put walls up” with their spouse and treat their husbands with suspicion in all areas of their lives, and so on.
Gross’ comments were inappropriate and insensitive to women who find out their husbands are cheating on them by viewing pornography. You can visit this blog below to see those additional comments.
I’d like to add that this also goes to show the the Christian trope that Christian married sex will be hot, steamy, and satisfying is false. Obviously, some Christian men (and married Christian women) are using porn, so they are not being fully sexually satisfied in the sack by their Christian spouse.
Also note that this disproves the Christian myth that married persons are immune from sexual sin. They are not. Married people are not more sexually pure than adult singles.
(Link): We’re All Visual
- I received an email from Craig Gross at XXX Church the other day. I had not signed up for emails from them. This is because XXX Church and Craig Gross purchase email address lists to be able to market to the people on them. Find out more about that (Link): HERE.
- This uninvited email was telling women how to deal with their husbands’ viewing pornography. I was horrified and angered by the content that was in the email and took to Twitter to communicate that to Craig Gross. I shall be spending this blog articulating WHY his email was so dangerous and will by referring t the email, the blog that the email is an excerpt from and my Twitter interaction with him.
- …Right, let’s get this VISUAL NATURE nonsense.
- Cordelia Fine’s book “Delusions of Gender” is a must read for anyone who wants to understand the basics of neurobiology. NOTHING IS HARDWIRED IN THE BRAIN. The last ten years has seen neuroscience reject the idea of hardwiring in the brain. The most recent science states that NEUROPLASTICITY (http://www.whatisneuroplasticity.com) is how the brain works.
- The frontal cortex of the brain (the bit which deals with cognition) only really begins to develop after birth. This means that almost everything brain based is malleable according to context and socialisation.
- It is not in men’s “nature” to be visual, it is in their socialisation.
- [Gross wrote]: “Your husband wants to honor you, but God has wired his brain so differently from a woman’s that it is a constant struggle.”
- God has not wired men’s brains. The Christian faith is founded upon FREE WILL. Humans are designed, wired and created with the capacity to make decisions and choices.
- Men are not robots, wired to respond to stimuli (naked women) in a certain way. And the nature of neuroplasticity means that the differences between men and women have been proven to be socialised more than any neurological difference.
- Talking about men and women as homogenous groups is dangerous and unhelpful. Women are also visual. We have eyes. We may not be socialised to understand or own this. But women are sexually aroused by visual stimuli. I am not making this up. It is an actual real thing.
- Is God so short sighted in creating humans that he made one half of them sexually stimulated by visual stimuli and the other half stimulated by something different? Did God create man thinking “I want to create human beings with free will, but I think I’ll ensure half of them are unable to function properly. They’ll be affected by certain visual stimuli in such a way that it will override that free will and make them a slave to their penis.” No, He did not.
- Men and women’s brains are not that different. If you were to look at a brain scan, you would not be able to tell whether it was a male or female brain without further investigation.
Related Posts / Articles (on other sites):
Related Posts (on this blog):