The Lobster: A Dystopian Tour de Force (A Movie About Adult Singles)
(Link): The Lobster: A Dystopian Tour de Force (A Movie About Adult Singles) by C. Orr
- Yorgos Lanthimos’s allegorical rumination on finding a mate is witty, cruel, and deeply unsettling.
- …Thus opens The Lobster, the stunning English-language debut of the Greek director Yorgos Lanthimos. A black comedy laced with moments of shocking cruelty, the film is a dystopian allegory about the human need to find a mate—a brilliant, if morbid, meditation on relationships in the age of the dating app.
- [Being single is against the law in the city in the movie. People who are single from divorce or whatever reason are forced to stay in a Hotel and get 45 days to find a mate from among the other Hotel residents. If they do not find a mate in the allotted time, they are turned into an animal of their choosing. One guy chooses Lobster, but most people choose to become a Dog.]
- …. The latter [dart guns] are for the guests’ regular forays into the adjacent woods, during which they hunt down “loners”—that is, unattached singles who’ve fled from society’s marital mandate.
- The hotel staff also pantomime skits extolling the virtues of couplehood: A man eating alone might choke on his food, but one with a wife will be saved; a woman walking alone might be raped, but one with a husband will be protected.
(Link): The Lobster – a movie that sounds like how the church treats adult singles
(Link): Please Stop Shaming Me for Being Single by J. Vadnal
(Link): Instone-Brewer: Ancient Jews Expected All to Marry, Was Illegal to Remain Single in Ancient Rome
(Link): Statistics Show Single Adults Now Outnumber Married Adults in the United States (as of 2014)
(Link): Thirty Year Old Woman Kills Herself Due to Being Single and Childless – Churches contribute to this by either Ignoring adult singles or shaming them for being single and childless
(Link): Want To But Can’t – The One Christian Demographic Being Continually Ignored by Christians Re: Marriage
(Link): Christian ‘Married People’ Privilege – Most Marrieds Remain Amazingly Blinded to Christian Discrimination Against Singles Or Write Unmarrieds’ Concerns Off, As Though They Are Nothing Compared to Marriage/ Parenting.
(Link): Ever Notice That Christians Don’t Care About or Value Singleness, Unless Jesus Christ’s Singleness and Celibacy is Doubted or Called Into Question by Scholars?
(Link): Christian Speaker Christine Caine Apologizes to Adult Singles For Singles Being Marginalized by the Church, for Church Idolizing Marriage
(Link): Jesus Christ Removed the Stigma, Shame From Being Single and Childless – by David Instone Brewer
(Link): Husband-Hunting is the Worst Part of a Christian Upbringing – Christianity Made Me Obsessed with Finding a Husband – by B. Ramos
(Link): Seven Truths About Marriage You Won’t Hear in Church by F. Powell
(Link): The Netherworld of Singleness for Some Singles – You Want Marriage But Don’t Want to Be Disrespected or Ignored for Being Single While You’re Single
(Link): Really, It’s Okay To Be Single – In order to protect marriage, we should be careful not to denigrate singleness – by Peter Chin
(Link): Hey, Justice Kennedy: You don’t need to shame singles to uphold marriage by L. Bonos
(Lies): Lies The Church Tells Single Women (by Sue Bohlin)
(Link): The Nauseating Push by Evangelicals for Early Marriage
(Link): Never Married Christians Over Age 35 who are childless Are More Ignored Than Divorced or Infertile People or Single Parents
(Link): (Left Wing, Feminist) Salon Author Amanda Marcotte Thinks Media Shouldn’t Judge Women’s Sexuality But She Has Mocked Women Over Their Sexual Choices Before (To Remain Virgins)
You must be logged in to post a comment.