- Yorgos Lanthimos’s allegorical rumination on finding a mate is witty, cruel, and deeply unsettling.
- …Thus opens The Lobster, the stunning English-language debut of the Greek director Yorgos Lanthimos. A black comedy laced with moments of shocking cruelty, the film is a dystopian allegory about the human need to find a mate—a brilliant, if morbid, meditation on relationships in the age of the dating app.
- [Being single is against the law in the city in the movie. People who are single from divorce or whatever reason are forced to stay in a Hotel and get 45 days to find a mate from among the other Hotel residents. If they do not find a mate in the allotted time, they are turned into an animal of their choosing. One guy chooses Lobster, but most people choose to become a Dog.]
- …. The latter [dart guns] are for the guests’ regular forays into the adjacent woods, during which they hunt down “loners”—that is, unattached singles who’ve fled from society’s marital mandate.
- The hotel staff also pantomime skits extolling the virtues of couplehood: A man eating alone might choke on his food, but one with a wife will be saved; a woman walking alone might be raped, but one with a husband will be protected.
(Link): The Lobster – a movie that sounds like how the church treats adult singles
(Link): Please Stop Shaming Me for Being Single by J. Vadnal
(Link): Instone-Brewer: Ancient Jews Expected All to Marry, Was Illegal to Remain Single in Ancient Rome
(Link): Statistics Show Single Adults Now Outnumber Married Adults in the United States (as of 2014)
(Link): Thirty Year Old Woman Kills Herself Due to Being Single and Childless – Churches contribute to this by either Ignoring adult singles or shaming them for being single and childless
(Link): Want To But Can’t – The One Christian Demographic Being Continually Ignored by Christians Re: Marriage
(Link): Christian ‘Married People’ Privilege – Most Marrieds Remain Amazingly Blinded to Christian Discrimination Against Singles Or Write Unmarrieds’ Concerns Off, As Though They Are Nothing Compared to Marriage/ Parenting.
(Link): Ever Notice That Christians Don’t Care About or Value Singleness, Unless Jesus Christ’s Singleness and Celibacy is Doubted or Called Into Question by Scholars?
(Link): Christian Speaker Christine Caine Apologizes to Adult Singles For Singles Being Marginalized by the Church, for Church Idolizing Marriage
(Link): Jesus Christ Removed the Stigma, Shame From Being Single and Childless – by David Instone Brewer
(Link): Husband-Hunting is the Worst Part of a Christian Upbringing – Christianity Made Me Obsessed with Finding a Husband – by B. Ramos
(Link): Seven Truths About Marriage You Won’t Hear in Church by F. Powell
(Link): The Netherworld of Singleness for Some Singles – You Want Marriage But Don’t Want to Be Disrespected or Ignored for Being Single While You’re Single
(Link): Really, It’s Okay To Be Single – In order to protect marriage, we should be careful not to denigrate singleness – by Peter Chin
(Link): Hey, Justice Kennedy: You don’t need to shame singles to uphold marriage by L. Bonos
(Lies): Lies The Church Tells Single Women (by Sue Bohlin)
(Link): The Nauseating Push by Evangelicals for Early Marriage
(Link): Never Married Christians Over Age 35 who are childless Are More Ignored Than Divorced or Infertile People or Single Parents
(Link): (Left Wing, Feminist) Salon Author Amanda Marcotte Thinks Media Shouldn’t Judge Women’s Sexuality But She Has Mocked Women Over Their Sexual Choices Before (To Remain Virgins)