Memes Against Marriage Pressure – A Group of Single Adults That Also Supports Celibacy
(Link): Memes Against Marriage Pressure
- BBC Indonesian Service
- Marriage is seen as inevitable in Indonesian culture, with friends and family often putting pressure on young people to find a partner and settle down.
- But one group of young people is fighting back, using social media to celebrate singlehood with laughter.
- Jakarta Lonely Council (or Dewan Kesepian Jakarta) – a play on the name of a well-known independent art body Jakarta Art Council – has become a kind of Facebook haven for single people.
- The group’s most popular posts are when they alter quotes from famous and prominent people to make memes related to single status, loneliness, and the feeling of longing for your ex.
- “The compulsion of dating on Saturday night is a bourgeois conspiracy,” says one post. Another declares 14 February as Single Pride Day with the phrase: “Single, but proud.”
- …‘Celibate for purpose’
- One of the founders said the page was created two years ago for fun, because the members love making memes and wanted to laugh themselves.
- “When we created the page, most of us were single. But now, one of us got married. How cruel is that?” said one of Jakarta Lonely Council’s initiator, who wanted to keep their identity anonymous.
- The creators, mostly young people, come from different professions; one is a researcher, a writer, and a lecturer. They use “celibate for purpose” in many posts, to emphasise that being alone or single is a choice and there is nothing wrong with it.
- …Beyond the memes, the group also wants the page to be a celebration for single people. Being married or in a couple, they said, is not a necessity and being single is a choice.
- …They also criticised the social and cultural values that push single people to marry a man or women their parents think is right for them.
- ‘Don’t bully – advocate’In Indonesia, religion plays a big part in relationships. Marriages between different religions are illegal and usually one partner has to change their religion in order to marry.”We experienced how bitter it was to end a relationship because we date a man or woman who has different religion, ideology, or ethnicity,” said the Jakarta Lonely Council founder.”Rather than bully the singles, we better advocate for them, right?”
(Link): Please Stop Shaming Me for Being Single by J. Vadnal
(Link): Research: Being Single [or Fear of Being Single] is a Meaningful Predictor of Settling for Less in Relationships
(Link): Salvation By Marriage Alone – The Over Emphasis Upon Marriage by Conservative Christians Evangelicals Southern Baptists
(Link): Really, It’s Okay To Be Single – In order to protect marriage, we should be careful not to denigrate singleness – by Peter Chin
(Link): The Nauseating Push by Evangelicals for Early Marriage
(Link): Christian Blogger About Divorce, Pastor Andrew Webb, Thinks All To Most Mid-Life Never – Married or Single – Again Adults Are Mal-Adjusted, Ugly Losers Who Have Too Much Baggage
(Link): Hey, Justice Kennedy: You don’t need to shame singles to uphold marriage by L. Bonos
(Link): The Netherworld of Singleness for Some Singles – You Want Marriage But Don’t Want to Be Disrespected or Ignored for Being Single While You’re Single
(Link): Article by J. Watts: The Scandal of Singleness
(Link): Statistics Show Single Adults Now Outnumber Married Adults in the United States
(Link): Thirty Year Old Woman Kills Herself Due to Being Single and Childless – Churches contribute to this by either Ignoring adult singles or shaming them for being single and childless
(Link): The best age to marry is when you meet the right person – editorial responding to study that says if you marry past 30 your marriage is doomed