Bride Presents Father With ‘Certificate of Purity’ on Wedding Day
I actually am not terribly interested in discussing this particular news story, but it is right up the alley for this blog, so I feel obligated to a point.
I’ve seen this news story show up on my Twitter account from other people, and in various Christian groups or blogs I visit. I figured that may be another reason I should hop into the fray.
Here is a link about it:
(Link): Md. bride presents father with ‘certificate of purity’ on wedding day
Here is an excerpt from that page with some comments by me below the excerpts:
- To some people, the idea of waiting for marriage might seem old fashioned, but not for Timothy and Brelyn Bowman. The 20-somethings tied the knot earlier this month in Prince George’s County, and they were virgins when they wed.
- To prove it, Brelyn presented her father, Pastor Mike Freeman, with a ‘certificate of purity’ on her wedding day. Soon after the wedding, the couple’s social media posts went viral.
- Appearing on Good Day DC, Brelyn said she signed a pledge to remain a virgin until marriage when she was 13. FOX 5’s Steve Chenevey asked Brelyn how her father reacted to the certificate that she presented to him.
- “He was so excited because it’s not nothing he required. He didn’t ask, ‘I need you to go and present this.’ It was something because I kept my word,” said Brelyn Bowman. “My sister, who was a virgin when she got married, did the same thing. And she was an example for me, so now I can be an example for others.”
This news story has been discussed on various sites, including
Here is an excerpt from the coverage at SSB, which I believe was written by SSB’s founder, Julie Anne (whom I do really like and respect):
- I am disgusted that this young lady felt the need to go to a doctor to get a note from him to prove her virginity. Would her father not take her at her word?
To be fair to the father, I have so far not seen a news story saying that the father insisted that the daughter go through a medical exam to prove her virginity (or that she possessed an intact hymen) to him.
Yes, some people, especially ones who are angered at this news story, are attempting to make a distinction between virginity and having an intact hymen.
Yes, it is true that some females can tear their hymen by playing sports and so on, but I think this is a semantic quibble.
Generally speaking, having an intact hymen is part of female virginity; it is usual for women virgins to have an intact hymen. The two concepts are usually linked. So, for whatever reason, I don’t get as angry or upset as others are by this part of the story.
I do think that men who are utterly obsessed with a woman’s virginity or hymen and insist on marrying only a virgin may be on the sexist side. Although I think these sorts of men are few and far between: most men today prefer to marry NON-virgin women (see (Link): this page on this blog for more on that issue).
I, a virgin woman, would prefer to marry a male virgin, but I know by this time in life, most guys I meet to date will be non-virgins, guys who are divorced or who are widowers, and I’d assume most of them were sexually active with their previous wife. I’ve learned to accept that fact of life and consider other factors in a guy – so men need to do the same with women.
One article I read, from New York Post, I think it was, made it sound like it was the young woman’s, Bowman’s, idea to pursue the “intact hymen” certificate and to publicize it, not her father’s (link to that is below, under the “additional off site links” section).
Here are some of my thoughts on this story, based off the handful of news articles and commentary I’ve seen online.
Off the top of my head, I’m not quite sure what I make of the story.
I’m not really sure if I am for or against this woman getting a certificate of intact hymen signed by a doctor and making this information public.
What I will say is this….
Continue reading “Bride Presents Father With ‘Certificate of Purity’ on Wedding Day – My Thoughts On the Matter”