I Me Wed: Why Are More Women Choosing To Marry Themselves? by C. Lytton
(Link): I me wed: why are more women choosing to marry themselves?
…Though solo ceremonies such as Tanner’s are unlikely to ever unseat the traditional union for two, they do seem to be on the rise; part of a much bigger social trend for women rejecting the traditional timeline of their mothers and grandmothers, and forging an independent path, worlds away from the ‘spinster’ stereotype.
“I think it’s hard not to adopt whatever society’s messages are … and I certainly think that one of the messages is, ‘You are not enough if you are not with someone else,’” Erika Anderson said of her decision to self-marry.
The 37-year-old, who lives in New York, wed her university sweetheart in her twenties but the pair split aged 30 after growing apart. Committing to herself, she said, was “an act of defiance.”
Continue reading “I Me Wed: Why Are More Women Choosing To Marry Themselves? by C. Lytton”
Self-Absorbed Man Hi-Jacks Wedding Ceremony
There goes the stereotypical evangelical Christian propaganda that the reason you’re still single past the age of 30 is because you’re still too (insert one or more: selfish, immoral, irresponsible, immature, ugly) to get a spouse, and God won’t send you one ’til you get your stuff together.
Forget that. The idiot in this following story was proposing marriage to someone…
(Link): Self-Absorbed Man Hi-Jacks Wedding Ceremony
The Internet is (Link): straight-up livid about this egregious wedding etiquette offense, and you will be too.
A recent bride wrote in to (Link): Slate’s advice columnist Dear Prudence (a.k.a. Mallory Ortberg) about “John” ― her huband’s best friend, best man, and wedding officiant ― who had the audacity to propose to his longtime girlfriend and announce their pregnancy DURING the ceremony.
On top of that, “John” ― not his real name ― found other ways to make the rest of the day about him and his fiancée “Jane.” The bride explained:
Continue reading “Self-Absorbed Man Hi-Jacks Wedding Ceremony”
Vietnam man, 44, stabs a wedding guest to death after he was booed off stage during a tragic karaoke performance
I guess they take their karaoke real serious over there.
(Link): Vietnam man, 44, stabs a wedding guest to death after he was booed off stage during a tragic karaoke performance
May 25, 2017
- Nguyen Ngoc Diep, 44, was singing at wedding in southern Vietnam on Thursday
- He was furious when a guest mocked his singing and stole his microphone
- Diep began brawling with the guest, who ended up seriously injured in hospital
- Attacker then stabbed another guest Le Hong An, 35, when he tried to stop him
- Diep has been arrested since going on the horrific rampage, local media said
A man at a wedding in Vietnam stabbed a fellow guest to death and seriously injured another after he was booed off stage during a karaoke performance.
Continue reading “Vietnam man, 44, stabs a wedding guest to death after he was booed off stage during a tragic karaoke performance”
Sologamy – Marrying Yourself
Personally, I feel this is weird.
But I get it. Women get tired of people asking them, “When are you going to marry” as though a woman’s not truly valid until she gets a husband.
I note that many of my fellow conservatives are totally mocking it – but most of these people have been married for decades and are blind to how bad society idolizes marriage and shames anyone who is still single past the age of 29.
I wouldn’t marry myself, as I find it an odd concept, but I can see how other singles might do something like this to send the message they are valuable on their own, and they are tired of friends and family asking them when they are going to marry.
(Link): Women across the world are ditching men for Sologamy, here’s why we have mixed feelings about this trend
(Link): What is a ‘sologamist’ and why are people doing it?
Continue reading “Sologamy – Marrying Yourself”
A ‘Romantic Way to Escape Persecution’: Online Matchmaking
(Link): A ‘Romantic Way to Escape Persecution’: Online Matchmaking
- Persecution watchdog group hopes romantic connections between Western and Pakistani Christians could lead to asylum. Other persecution groups aren’t so sure.
An advocacy group for Pakistani Christians is now getting into the matchmaking business.
The British Pakistani Christian Association (BPCA) (Link): launched an online dating site in May to connect Pakistani Christians living all over the world.
Named for a common term for a South Asian wedding, (Link): Shaadi4Christians serves as a tool for single Christians—and their parents, who still often arrange marriages for their children—scattered in the South Asian diaspora.
The BCPA views marriage as a way to escape persecution.
Continue reading “A ‘Romantic Way to Escape Persecution’: Online Matchmaking”
Dad Buys Full-Page $900 Newspaper Ad Seeking a Wife for His 48 Year Old, Never Married Son
I hope this father realizes that men over 40 who father kids are more likely to father a kid with various diseases, see link 1, link 2, link 3.
(Link): Dad places newspaper ad to find wife for son
(Link): Dad seeks ‘wife’ for 48-year-old son with full-page newspaper ad
(Link): Wife wanted: Dad places spouse-needed ad in Idaho newspaper
- The ad gives a brief description of Brooks, including a photo with the disclaimer, “I look just like my picture, except I now have grey hair.” The “About You” section states applicants “Will be attractive being height and weight proportional.” It also goes on to say that applicants should be prepared to have children with Brooks and also be a stay-at- home mom.
(Link): MEDDLING BEVERLY HILLS DAD PUTS OUT FULL-PAGE AD TO FIND 48-YEAR-OLD SON A WIFE
- He said his father has been ill and wants a grandson to carry on the family name.Brooks compared his father to Larry David’s character in the TV series “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” saying he “thinks he does the right thing, and then it all blows up in his face.”He said he’d never buy an ad like this himself, but “it’s worth a shot. Can’t hurt.”
(Link): Full-page newspaper ad seeking wife
(Link): Dad Buys Full-Page $900 Newspaper Ad Seeking a Wife for His 48 Year Old, Never Married Son
- One father in Beverly Hills is trying to find his son a wife the old-fashioned way.
- Arthur Brooks, 78, spent $900 on a full-page ad in Idaho’s Coeur d’Alene Press newspaper using the headline “Looking For a Wife.”
Continue reading “Dad Buys Full-Page $900 Newspaper Ad Seeking a Wife for His 48 Year Old, Never Married Son”
This Man Took Engagement Photos With A Burrito And It Was Burrito-ful
This guy’s sense of humor is pretty similar to mine (really stupid at times). This looks like something I might have done. If this guy is close to my age, he and I should totally marry.
Marry me, burrito guy! My other selling points: Not only do I like burritos, but I also like chimichangas and tacos.
Oh wait, I see from reading more that he’s only in his 20s. Ah well.
(Link): This Man Took Engagement Photos With A Burrito And It Was Burrito-ful
(Link): Single Woman Photographer Opposes Societal Marital Pressure with Mannequin Family