Why Are Christian Guys Silent About Abstinence? by C. Hill
The link to the editorial by C. Hill is much farther down the page. I wanted to spend several paragraphs discussing the editorial itself before linking to it.
I sometimes wonder if authors on sites such as Christianity Today or Christian Post read my blog or comments I’ve left on other blogs (under other names or sometimes under the “Christian Pundit” moniker), because some of the points this guy makes are ones that I have made before, that I have not seen other writers make.
One such point: we live in a culture that increasingly demands that we respect everyone else’s sexual behavior and choices, everything from having pre-marital sex, to having homosexual sex, to engaging in adultery.
I’ve even seen increased acceptance of Asexuality.
However, if one is a heterosexual with a normal sex drive and interest in sex who never the less chooses to refrain from sex (i.e., to stay a virgin or be celibate), and especially if one is past one’s mid or late 20s age-wise, one is judged, mocked, or condemned by that same culture.
That is, the same people demanding that I, a hetero celibate / virgin, respect or applaud homosexuality or adultery, are the very same people who would make fun of a person or criticize them for being a virgin over the age of 18 or 25, or being celibate, if having been sexually active before. It’s a very hypocritical position and one that is common, but it’s seldom a point I’ve seen called out by others.
Continue reading “Why Are Christian Guys Silent About Abstinence? by C. Hill”
Church Youth Pastor Puts Peanut Butter on His Arm Pits and Between Toes and Tells Kids to Lick it Off
I first became aware of this on Janet Mefferd’s show (link). The story is several years old. It appears to have taken place around 2009.
Here are some links about it (I am not taking the time to vet each site I am linking to here; I am only linking to these sites for their reporting on this peanut butter story, or similar stories).
(Link): Peanut Butter Passion
- Someone a few months ago sent me this article about a youth leader who likes to provoke his students to a state of screaming enthusiasm with gross-out games. (Warning: the article itself and the other links in the following paragraph are extremely gross. Home-school moms might want to look away.)
- The article describes how this youth leader had a teenager with hairy armpits smear gobs of peanut butter on his underarms; then the youth pastor asked for volunteers to lick it clean and swallow the peanut butter.
- The youth leader uses skits like that to “shock and astound.” (Those are his exact words.) He told that secular reporter that he does things like that all the time to get the students excited, so that they will talk about the church.
(Link): Don’t Read This If You Have a Weak Stomach… (examples of disgusting youth group activities)
This comes from a site advertising itself as a tool for youth pastors. This page advises getting the teens to rub the bread on someone’s arm pits before eating it:
(Link): Youth Ministry Games : P,B & J (submitted in 2000)
- Submitted by: on August 1, 2000
Materials: Peanutbutter, Jelly, and Bread, 2 dufflebags…
Messy Rating: Special Considerations Duration: 5-20 minutes Cost: $5.00
Two guys are geting ready for their dates, after working out at the gym. (Have to be really sweaty. Need two volunteers who are not afraid of anything.) The thing is, they don’t have any deoderant, hair gel, and did not have time to eat. They then pull out the PB and put it under their arms for deoderant.
- Next they pull out the jelly for the hair gel. Now they are ready for their dates. But one thing remains, they are still hungry.
- They then pull out the bread, taking one slice and rubbing their armpits. Taking the other slice and rubbing their head. Then putting the two pieces of bread together for their sandwhiches. But that’s not all. They switch snadwhiches and have a bite or two!!!!
- This will gross out anybody, kids or adults!!! This is an awesome ice breaker for new groups!
In the course of looking up the peanut butter in the armpit story, I found this page:
(Link): Peanut butter salvation and other stupid church tricks.
- Four sets of parents are suing a church in Indiana for what happened at a New Year’s Eve lock-in. A youth leader chewed up a mixture of dog food, sardines, potted meat, sauerkraut, cottage cheese, and salsa, topped off with holiday eggnog. As if this spectacle were not disgusting enough (let the reader beware), he then spit out the mixture into a glass and encouraged the members of the youth group to drink it!
- Some of those who did, of course, became sick, whereupon their parents sued the church.
- ….Then there are games designed to appeal to adolescents’ hormones. These include kissing games like “Kiss the Wench.”
- “Leg Line Up” has girls feel boys’ legs to identify who is who.
- Some of them have odd homosexual subtexts, like “Pull Apart,” in which guys cling to each other, while girls try to pull them apart.
- Another has girls putting make-up on guys, leading to a drag beauty show. Then there is the embarrassingly Freudian “Baby Bottle Burp,” in which girls put a diaper (a towel) on a boy, then feed him a bottle of soda, and cradle him until he burps!
(Link): Preachers Who Use Strippers, Hula Girls, Topless Hunky Men, and Strip Poles During Church Services and Give Sex Diplomas to Teens – Yes, Really
(Link): Want To Grow Your Church? Advertise Sex. (story via A Little Leaven blog)
(Link): Church’s Bizarre Sermon To Singles About Singlehood – With Spiderman Theme
(Link): Ignatius the Ultimate Youth Pastor & Teaching Christian Singles About Sex (parody)