Enraged New Yorkers Tear Down Sexually Explicit ‘OK Cupid’ Subway Ads
(Link): Fed-up straphanger tears down ‘gross’ dating-app ads in viral video
More like “Ok Stupid.”
A fed-up New Yorker tore down lurid subway advertisements for the dating app OK Cupid.
“All of this is gross. For kids to be looking at this, is that OK??” she said in viral videos posted to Twitter on Wednesday.
The woman walked up and down the D train car, ripping the ads down — while ranting about COVID-19 and communism — as silent, masked straphangers looked on.
It’s not clear just when the video was recorded. The colorful ads began to appear on subway trains over the summer.
Continue reading “Enraged New Yorkers Tear Down Sexually Explicit ‘OK Cupid’ Subway Ads”
Personal Info of 70,000 Dating Site Users Leaked to Public Without Their Consent, Including Intimate Sexual Details
One of the side benefits of being a celibate is that you don’t have any private, potentially embarrassing sexual details to be made public because they don’t exist.
The researchers who dumped this data sound like real a**holes.
(Link): Scientists release personal data for 70,000 OkCupid profiles
(Link): 70,000 OkCupid Profiles Leaked, Intimate Details And All
- by Emma Woollacott
- May 2016
- The (very) personal data of 70,000 members of the dating site OKCupid has been released – not by hackers, but by university researchers.
- The information includes everything from sexual turn-ons to drug use. And while it doesn’t identify individuals by name, it does include usernames – which may well be enough to make it possible to work out users’ real identities.
- Danish researchers Emil Kirkegaard and Julius Bjerrekær, associated with Aarhus University, collected the data by scraping the site – arguably, perfectly legitimately.
- Logged-in members of OKCupid can see a certain amount of information on other site users, and it would in theory be possible to trawl through the lot to put together the dataset.
- …The researchers even say that the only reason they haven’t published users’ photos is that it would have taken up too much hard drive space.
Continue reading “Personal Info of 70,000 Dating Site Users Leaked to Public Without Their Consent, Including Intimate Sexual Details”