Conservatives, Christians, Transgenders, and Bathrooms – Addressing Libby Anne’s “Love, Joy, Feminism” Post About Transgenders
I really don’t feel like devoting too much time on my blog to the topic of Transgenderism.
To date, I’ve done only 2 or 3 posts on the subject, one defending transgender people from criticisms by some Southern Baptist guy, and another that is critical of the transgender phenomenon.
Much farther down this post, I address a recent post by Libby Anne (of the “Love, Joy, Feminism” blog on Patheos) that pertains to Christians, child sexual abuse, and Transgender persons and the bathroom debate.
I would say I am mostly on the conservative side of the Transgender issue but appreciate that some conservatives can be too harsh towards Transgender people and may find myself agreeing with liberals on some of their comments on this sort of topic.
In other words, this is another subject where I neither totally agree with either conservatives or liberals, and I think both sides make good points in favor of their positions, and both sides sometimes make bad, unfair, rude, or stupid points.
I see a lot of misunderstanding by liberals of the conservative position on Transgender people using public restrooms.
I can’t speak to every single conservative or Christian who is opposed to Trans people using bathrooms, but there is definitely one component of conservatives and Christians who aren’t opposed to Trans people using opposite gender bathrooms per se.
In my case (as a conservative), I don’t know if I care if a biological male who wears a skirt uses a woman’s bathroom or not – it might make me uncomfortable, but that is not my big problem with this issue.
My problem resides in the fact that – damn, I don’t know all the liberal alphabet soup labels they slap on everything, is it Hetero CIS men? – my problem is that Hetero CIS men who are rapists will PRETEND to be Trans women so that they can have access to more female victims.
I am a Hetero CIS woman (I hope I’m using liberal speak correctly here). Anyway, as a Hetero CIS female, I don’t want to be raped by going into a woman’s restroom at the mall, a Target store, or a highway rest stop bathroom by some Hetero CIS man who slaps on a skirt and some lip stick pretending to be a Trans woman, all so he can come into a woman’s restroom and attack me – rape me, take photos of me half dressed, or mug me.
And this has in fact happened before (to other people).
This blog linked to below had a post with links to several different news stories of CIS Hetero Men who pretended to be Trans to enter women’s bathrooms to attack women; here is one post from that blog (at least one of these news stories involves a man who claimed to be bi-sexual who had a girlfriend at the time he pretended to be trans to sexually assault women):
- (July 2016 update: I now have a blog post where I will keep track of such news stories:
- (Link): Sexual Assaults or Harassment Carried Out by CIS Men Taking Advantage of Trans-friendly Bathroom Policies – Collection of News Stories )
From that same blog:
- (Link): Silencing Women: The LGBT Line
- Feb 2016
- Seattle-based transgender rights activist Johanna Wolf has been among the most vitriolic in her responses to privacy activists, claiming that it’s only their “hatred” and “bigotry” that is trying to keep her and others out of the locker rooms and showers.
- Recently we have discovered that Johanna used to be a man, (Link): Jonathan Adrian Wolf, who is a sex-offender convicted of raping a 20-year old deaf girl in Nebraska in 2006.
- Why is this relevant?
- Because a sex-offender is now seeking access to a woman’s locker room through this open bathroom policy.
- ….Obviously, it remains true that not everyone who experiences gender dysphoria is a sex-offender or wanting to do harm.But the fact is, this new rule would create liability for businesses who would seek to intervene in cases like this.
- Despite maintaining residency in the Seattle-area, Wolf does not currently appear as a registered sex offender in the (Link): online sex-offender registry operated by the Washington State Department of Corrections or the database (Link): operated by King County.
- There are already (Link): many cases of men (Link): impersonating transgender women to gain access to private places. Now we know there are convicted sex offenders seeking access to women’s bathrooms under the same rationale.
- by Melody Wood, June 3, 2016
- …The risk to the privacy and safety of women and girls is real. There have been numerous cases in recent years of men either cross-dressing or claiming to be transgender in order to access women’s bathrooms and locker rooms for inappropriate purposes. Here are six examples:
- In 2009, a sex offender named (Link): Richard Rendler was arrested for wearing fake breasts and a wig while loitering in a women’s restroom in a Campbell, California, shopping center. Rendler had previously been arrested on charges of child molestation and indecent exposure.
- (Please visit the page to read the rest of the examples)
- ..As these examples illustrate, there are people who will abuse transgender policies.
- …So what are women and girls to do when a biological male wearing a wig and makeup walks in to an open shower next to them and they are shocked by the intrusion? According to the administration’s directive, “the desire to accommodate others’ discomfort” is no reason at all to prevent transgender people from accessing the intimate facilities of their choice.
- Moreover, the directive prevents schools from requiring transgender people to have surgery, take hormones, have a medical diagnosis, or even act or dress in any particular way before having the “right” to be treated exactly like a person of the opposite sex.
- The logical effect would be to silence women and girls who might otherwise speak out to prevent serious crimes from happening for fear that they would be accused of bigotry if they make the wrong call.The interests and desires of transgender persons, especially adults, shouldn’t be placed over the privacy and safety of women and girls.
- Let’s get this out of the way right at the start: No one is mistaking Matthew Foerstel for a “transgender person” for lack of the better one-word noun I’m sure someone will come up with very soon. He’s clearly just a male pervert going where he’s not supposed to be. I don’t even think he’s claiming to “identify as a woman.”
- But last week, Target took a step toward completely erasing the distinction between men’s bathrooms/dressing rooms and women’s bathrooms/dressing rooms when it told everyone to just use whichever one suits their, um, “gender identity.”
This week, this:
An O’Fallon, Missouri man was arrested on April 23 after allegedly secretly filming women in a Target dressing room.
Matthew Foerstel, 26, faces felony charges for invasion of privacy in the second degree and unlawful possession of a firearm.
The Brentwood Police Department arrested Foerstel on April 23 after he allegedly held a camera phone under a dressing room door while a female shopper tried on swim suits at the Target store in Brentwood.
An officer went to Ranken Technical College to place Foerstel under arrest and reportedly found him in possession of a loaded handgun.
In 2013, Foerstel was convicted of invasion of privacy in St. Charles County for “knowingly and intentionally” filming an 11-year-old girl while she was partially nude inside a department store dressing room.
- The left will insist this has nothing to do with letting transgender people use the rest room of their choice, but here’s why they’re wrong: Some guy decides to wander into the ladies’ dressing area. An employee sees him.
- Does the employee stop him? How does the employee decide? Maybe the guy doesn’t look transgender, but is that the test? Who has defined it? And if anyone does define it, who’s to say activists won’t change the definition next week?
- The company has just made a very public show of announcing its intention to be “inclusive” by letting everyone go wherever they think they should go. If an employee stops a guy because he looks like a guy and that’s the ladies’ room, does the employee risk the wrath of the company because everyone was supposed to know this is A-OK?
- Canada – A biological man claiming to be ‘transgender’ so as to gain access to and prey on women at two Toronto shelters was jailed “indefinitely” last week after being declared by a judge a “dangerous offender.”
- …Christopher Hambrook, 37, leaned on the ever expanding legal “rights” offered to people who “identify” with the sex opposite their biology. Under the name “Jessica,” he was able to get into the women’s shelters, where he sexually assaulted several women in 2012, the Toronto Sun reports.
- Nov 2015
A man dressed as a woman was arrested in Virginia on Monday after police say he was caught peeping into restroom stalls three times in the past year.
- Richard Rodriguez, 30, filmed a woman in a bathroom stall at the Potomac Mills Mall, Prince William County Police said on Tuesday. A 35-year-old woman was in the stall when she saw a bag moved toward her under the stall divider. Rodriguez apparently had been filming her, police said.
- April 2016
- The administration at the University of Toronto was recently enlightened on why two separate washrooms are generally established for men and women sharing co-ed residencies.
- The University is (Link): temporarily changing its policy on gender-neutral bathrooms after two separate incidents of “voyeurism” were reported on campus September 15 and 19.
- Male students within the University’s Whitney Hall student residence were caught holding their cellphones over female students’ shower stalls and filming them as they showered.
Excerpt (my sentiments exactly):
- by Chris Woodward – May 4, 2016
- “Our [American Family Association] main concern is not about transgender individuals,” says AFA spokesman Walker Wildmon. “Our concern is men – sexual predators specifically – who will use this bathroom policy as a disguise in order to gain access to women and children.”
“Target’s policy is exactly how sexual predators get access to their victims,” AFA President Tim Wildmon said.
In fact, AFA included links to numerous news stories about predatory incidents at a Macy’s, a women’s shelter, a university, and a mall food court, among other examples.
An “Action Alert” on April 27 included two news stories of men who had been arrested at Target stores for lewd behavior, one in Missouri and the second in Texas.
According to Fox News, the attorney general wrote that Target is free to open its bathrooms to whomever it wants in the Lone Star State. But the public has a right to know how Target will ensure its customers are safe, he added.
- Project Veritas demonstrates what the progressive jihad to transgenderize bathrooms means for privacy in the bathroom even in North Carolina, which has been theatrically denounced by moonbats like Bruce Springsteen and Michael Moore for putting up resistance:
- Rejoice, sex fiends of heterosexual varieties. You won’t even have to dress up in women’s clothes to catch yourself an eyeful — or a cameraful.
- (by author 1) So when they ran his background he has a history of video voyeurism and has been in trouble for putting cameras in his shoes and filming under girls skirts, in the dressing rooms when girls are changing into bikinis, etc. He filmed three different girls in one location at Neptune Beach. He’s been all over Jacksonville.
- (by author 2) …And he chose Target as his latest voyeuristic destination. Gee, who would have ever thought?
Another Link to the same story:
(Link): The folly of ‘inclusive’ restrooms (by T. Bruce, who I believe is a lesbian):
- May 2016
- Consider this report from KMOV in Missouri in May 2015: “Missouri man was arrested on April 23, 2015 after allegedly secretly filming women in a Target dressing room. The Brentwood Police Department arrested Foerstel on April 23 after he allegedly held a camera phone under a dressing room door while a female shopper tried on swim suits at the Target store in Brentwood.”
- This from just a week ago from WHIO in Ohio: “Joshua Sheldon, 33, pleaded guilty Thursday to voyeurism, a second-degree misdemeanor, according to Miamisburg Municipal Court. Sheldon was accused of looking under a woman’s dressing room door at a Target store in Miami Twp…”
- These are just two examples of dozens of incidents in Target stores across the country. The point is, Target’s new policy, in a strange attempt to appease liberal gay activists, has made it even easier for men to enter an area of the store where privacy is necessary for security.
- …To be true to the civil rights we [LGBT] fight for, our effort should be about co-existence with people of faith and everyone else. But no. Now it’s about bullying everyone who thinks differently.
It’s not just conservatives and Christians who object to Trans persons in women’s bathrooms or locker rooms (or who have issues with Trans persons):
(Link): Even in Liberal Communities, Transgender Bathroom Laws Worry Parents by B. Luscombe
- May 13, 2016
- Girls from a swim team in New York City’s Upper West Side are too scared to use the women’s locker room at a Parks Department swimming pool. In March, a sign appeared noting that everyone has the the right to use the restroom or locker room consistent with their “gender identity or gender expression.” Around the same time, the girls, who range in age from about seven to 18, became concerned after they saw a “bearded individual” in the women’s changing room.
- ….According to one mother of a swim team member, Ellen Vandevort, her daughter was just leaving the locker room in late April when a person who was bald, with heavy stubble and a towel at waist level, stepped out of the shower. Her daughter and the younger girls on the team, says Vandevort, grew alarmed and reported it to the swim coach who suggested that the girls change in the family shower room.
An employee at the center who spoke on condition of anonymity says the individual using the locker room appears to present as a man—wearing swim shorts or trunks to swim, with sideburns going down into a beard—which is partly what alarms the girls and their parents. Staff members have also been warned that asking individuals to prove their gender identity would be discriminatory. “Our hands are tied,” the worker said.”We can’t say anything about it.”
The sign posted outside the locker room in March that affirmed the right of anyone to use the facility that corresponds with their gender identity also noted that “individuals cannot be asked to show identification, medical documentation or any other form of proof or verification of gender” and that anybody “who abuses this policy to assault, harass, intimidate, or otherwise interfere with an individual’s rights” can be prosecuted.
- Germaine Greer, the 76-year-old author of “The Female Eunich,” is making waves by lambasting the idea that Caitlyn Jenner may be honored by Glamour Magazine as “Woman of the Year.”
- Jenner isn’t a woman, says Greer. He’s just attention-starved and seeking to steal the limelight from the women in the Kardashian family.
- He hasn’t actually had to endure what feminists depict as the true horrors of womanhood, such as being cursed with what Greer delicately characterizes as a “big, hairy, smelly vagina.”
- Dec 2015
- The young mother described feeling hurt “emotionally and physically” after falling in love with woman she believed was a man
- Jan 2016
- OLYMPIA, Wash.—A group of women who say they are former victims of sexual assault are making an emotional plea to Washington state legislators to reverse a bathroom policy that they say leaves them and their young children vulnerable, exposed and unsafe.
- …“There is no doubt in my mind that many, many people will be hurt with this kind of policy,” Simon said.
- The policies, which went into effect Dec. 26, grant individuals full access to bathrooms, locker rooms and other gender-specific facilities in accordance with their chosen gender identity instead of their anatomical sex.
- But already,Simon and the other victims feel their stories have fallen on deaf ears, and they’re being portrayed in the public as “fearmongers.”
- By A. Kumar
- May 2016
A shopper at a Ross Dress for Less department store in Texas was shocked as a man entered into the women’s dressing room while she was there. She complained to the manager, who told her, “He was representing himself as a woman today.”
“I was in the dressing room, when we heard a man’s voice,” Lisa Stickles described the incident at the Ross store in Mesquite, Texas, to (Link): CBSDFW.
After her complaint, the manager went inside the dressing room, “came right back out and called me to the side and told me… he was representing himself as a woman today,” Stickles said. “He was in no way dressed as a woman. He had on jeans, a t-shirt, 5 o’clock shadow, very deep voice. He was a man.”
A customer service representative with Ross said they do not discriminate against the transgender community.
“What about me? Or my feelings?” said Sickles. “(The manager) told me that if I felt uncomfortable in the dressing room with him there… I’d have to wait until he’s finished.”
Other businesses are also now allowing the use of bathrooms and other facilities based on users’ gender identity.
Having said all that, I turn my attention now to this blog at the Love, Joy, and Feminism blog on Patheos by Libby Anne.
(Link): The Sexual Predators in Evangelicals’ Backyard by Libby Anne
Here is an excerpt or two from Libby Anne’s editorial:
- You would think that people [ie, conservatives and Christians] who care so much about preventing the abuse of women and children that they’re willing to bar a particularly vulnerable group of people—trans individuals—from safely using the bathroom themselves would, you know, care about actually learning the dynamics of abuse. But no. They’re not interested.
- Over the past few years, the evangelical community in which I grew up has been rocked by several child sex abuse scandals itself, and it has not handled them well.
- … A particularly problematic set of beliefs contributes to evangelicals’ frequent inability to properly address sexual abuse. Evangelical teachings about forgiveness and redemption make it incredibly easy for child predators to convince those around them that they have changed, and that they should be allowed to resume their ministry positions and their access to children.
- …For too many evangelicals, it is women—teenage girls in particular—who are seen as the natural sexual predators, and not the predatory men who take advantage of them.
Libby Anne concludes by saying this:
- I’m not worried about my first grade daughter using the bathroom at the same time as a trans woman. I’m worried about my teenage sisters living in an evangelical community with a demonstrated willingness to turn on victims and make excuses for predators.
In her concluding commentary, she’s essentially arguing that two wrongs make a right. Or something of that nature.
Her daughter could be raped by a professing Christian in a church setting and blamed for being raped by other Christians – that is true – but it also remains a possibility that her daughter could also be raped by a Hetero CIS man pretending to be Trans to gain access to a woman’s restroom at the mall that her daughter may utilize.
I’ll address some of the other main points of her editorial in a moment, but regarding this part by Libby Anne:
- …they’re [Christians are] willing to bar a particularly vulnerable group of people—trans individuals…
Are all Trans persons really that “vulnerable?”
I ask because Bruce Jenner, now Caitlyn, for example, is what, maybe 6 foot to 6 foot, 4 inches tall (taller than me), probably weighs 200 or more pounds (weighs more than me) and can probably easily get the tight lid off a brand new peanut jar before I could (he has more muscle mass than I do, and more upper body strength). So I’m not sure how “vulnerable” all Trans persons really are.
I actually agree with much of Libby Anne’s post. Christians – the conservative evangelicals and the fundamentalists especially – tend to cover up child sexual abuse in their churches, and rather than rush to the aid of the victim (which they should do), they immediately seek to protect and comfort the aggressor.
Not only that, but due to some very perverted theology, these Christian yea-hoo’s get into victim-blaming rape and molestation targets, which is regrettable and infuriating.
There is no doubt that happens regularly in Protestant and Baptist churches.
But Libby Anne argues that because Protestants and Baptists are terrible at handling child sex abuse cases, that they should not be concerned or upset about adult, biological men using women’s bathrooms. I’m sorry, but this does not follow.
That some Christians are terrible at acknowledging and handling child sex abuse on their own turf does not mean they are wrong to be concerned at the possibility of perverts and rapists taking advantage of pro-Trans bathroom bills to prey on women or children.
Can Christians be horribly hypocritical in how they discuss and handle child sex abuse cases? Yes, without a doubt. However, pointing out the shortcomings of Christians in the area of sexual abuse in Christian communities does absolutely nothing to guarantee that girls and women will not be sexually exploited in public restrooms by cis-hetero men who falsely claim the status of Trans to abuse females.
Related Post, this site:
Related Posts / Articles, other sites:
- (Link): CITY OF DURHAM REFUTES TRANSGENDER WOMAN’S CLAIMS
- (Link): Transgender Female’s Claim of Being Escorted from NC Womens’ Restroom May Be Hoax
- (Link): Transgender woman’s story of being forced out of a North Carolina bathroom called into question
(Link): False Report Being Circulated About AFA – AFA is NOT sending men into women’s bathrooms
- Greer made two rational points that bigotry would keep one from calmly considering. The first, is that Jenner is male scientifically. If you were to clone him, his DNA would reproduce a boy.
- Secondly, Jenner did not grow up experiencing a menstrual period, the possibility of pregnancy and romantic vulnerability before a world of teenage boys (in the way girls do).
- Putting on make-up and a dress and shooting oestrogen into your veins simply does not give you this background experience that women worldwide share.
- ‘Transphobe’ is a loaded term that kills debate.
- by Joseph Murray
- Same-sex marriage advocates didn’t want to change anyone’s biology.
- Cirque du Soleil’s North Carolina cancelation comes as a growing number of artists and entertainers abandon their respective performances in the state to protest of the Public Facilities Privacy & Security Act.
- The world-famous circus, however, has not canceled its upcoming performances in the United Arab Emirates of Dubai.
- Indeed, Cirque du Solei has a planned production, (Link): Varekai, scheduled to run from September 16 to 24 at the Dubai World Trade Centre.
- The United Arab Emirates of Dubai has (Link): outlawed same-sex marriage, sex or gender reassignment surgery, adoption by same-sex couples, openly gay and lesbian military service, with the aforementioned being punishable by (Link): death, (Link): fines, or (Link): imprisonment.
_____August 2016 update:
(Link): Target Adds Private Bathrooms to Quell Transgender Debate (August 2016)
(Link): Target adding single-stall bathrooms at all stores (Aug 2016)
Big-box retailer Target will add single-stall bathrooms at all of its stores where that option is not currently offered, reflecting a direct response to the debate that (Link): erupted earlier this year over its new transgender-bathroom policy.
Target Chief Financial Officer Cathy Smith told reporters Wednesday that the company would invest $20 million to add single-stall bathrooms.
The company already had single-stall bathrooms that anyone can use at about 1,400 of its 1,800 stores, Target spokesperson Katie Boylan said.
Related Posts, This Blog:
(Link): Update on Christian Rapist Man Who Used Christian Mingle Site To Pick His Victims (he liked to discuss Jesus and the Bible with them before raping them – other details in update) Equally Yoked Teaching IS A FARCE
(Link): Why Christians Need to Uphold Lifelong Celibacy as an Option for All Instead of Merely Pressuring All to Marry – vis a vis Sexless Marriages, Counselors Who Tell Marrieds that Having Affairs Can Help their Marriages